The Day of Your Surgery
What to Bring to the Hospital
- Identification, insurance or health plan membership card, signed insurance claim form if needed, authorization letters or numbers and/or medical coupon
- Inhaler if you have asthma
- CPAP machine if you use one for sleep apnea
- Prostheses, crutches, braces or other items you may need after your operation
- Comfortable clothes to wear after your operation
- Books and magazines to read in case of delays
What NOT to Bring to the Hospital
Leave valuables at home, including JEWELRY. If your ring does not come off, please have a jeweler remove it before your operation. Due to possible swelling, rings must be removed for your safety. Please call the Preoperative Clinic if you have questions about removal of jewelry.
Family Waiting Area and Cafeteria
Your family and friends will be directed to the waiting area while you are in the operating room and during the initial phase of your recovery. Your surgeon will talk to your family after your operation is over.
On the Virginia Mason campus, the cafeteria is on the fourth floor of the hospital. The cafeteria offers full meals, a deli with sandwiches made to order, snacks and vending machines. On the Group Health campus several restaurants are located near the hospital on 15th Avenue.